Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book Review: Toddler Adoption

A great way to prepare for adoption and handle the waiting is reading great books. I thought I would review a couple of books I have found helpful.
 
Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft 
by

An excellent resource for adoption, especially children 12-48 months. This book really opened my eyes to all the problems those who adopt toddlers face. It is kind of a wake up call. The author lists a whole spectrum of challenges.  I would recommend this book for anyone wanting to know more about attachment and adoption in general. 

The good thing about this book is that you know you child will not have all the struggles listed, but it will give you some ideas about what to look for and what to expect.  This book personifies, "hope for the best but expect the worst."

This book was so valuable for setting my expectations.  We brought home J from China when he was just 15 months old. We saw some of the behavior described in the book and where pleasantly surprised that his transition was not harder.

As we are planning to adopt from China again, another toddler, this book will certainly be re-read.   

No comments:

Post a Comment